Saturday, February 16, 2008

Bad Moments, Not Bad Days

Life has been a struggle of late. I have had many challenges this past few weeks. I went to my home group meeting last night and the topic and sharing was really a case of my Higher Power using others to speak to me. The reading was from the Big Book on the 10th step promises. That brought me clarity on my emotional state, well that along with some guidance from my sponsor. I have been on this emotional rollercoaster and I felt as if I was going insane. It was pointed out, just as the 10th step promises state, that my sanity has been restored and what is happening is normal......it is called feeling emotions. Wow.......so this is what emotions feel like? They are so unfamiliar to me that my instinct is to cover them up or find a way to numb them out. Later someone shared about how they never have bad days any longer thanks to the help of a Higher Power and working the 12 steps. When i heard them say that, I thought....."Yea Right" But then they further clrified......they have bad moments but never bad days.....Lightbulb. I reflected back and found that I had been dwelling on the bad moments and making them larger, but that there had been good moments too and if I dwelled on the good moments than just maybe I wouldn't be having bad days. Ultimately having a bad day is a choice because there are always good things that happen in a whole 24 hour period.......

2 comments:

butterflygirl said...

Well said Rex!

indistinct said...

Thank you. Just what I needed to hear.