Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Coffee!

By LORI MATSUKAWA / KING 5 News
Coffee may protect the brain of aging women
NEW YORK - Can't find your car keys? Forgot the name of the movie you saw last week? If you find your memory is slipping, remember your morning coffee.
A growing body of research suggests coffee can help protect the aging brain. A four-year study of 7,000 people found women who drank three cups or more a day had fewer age-related memory problems compared to those who drank a cup or less.
The benefits kicked in for women 65 and older, but not for men.
Duke University's Dr. Jim Lane has been studying the health effects of caffeine for more than 25 years.
He says,"We don't know that caffeine actually improves mental function or prevents decline in functioning," Lane warned.
The Cleveland Clinic's Dr. Ronan Factora agrees.
"It's a lot of coffee, it's a lot of caffeine, about 300 milligrams a day, and this doesn't even take into account the caffeine that you get from things like caffeinated beverages," he said.
Researchers note that women who drank tea got the same memory boosting benefits. They don't know why the benefits didn't show up in men

I needed a good excuse to justify my caffine addiction! Now I can drink coffee all day and say it's because I'm boosting my memory!

14 comments:

butterflygirl said...

What a positive reinforcement!

My Name Here said...

OMG--I am just LMAO. I drink so much coffee. Everyone asks me why I do that? And I tell them, its the one thing I remember to do everyday!! NOW IT IS THE TRUTH!!!

Redhead Gal said...

Amen, hallelujah, and praise the Lord!!! I'm finally doing something right!!

Mama Dukes said...

never had a cup of coffee yet in my life. I am a tea drinker. Do I need to switch?

Shadow said...

thanks! gonna print that and give it to hubby who thinks i'm drinking tooooo much coffee. maybe that's why he can't remember where what is.... heee heee

molly said...

great post.. my hubby actually buys beans green (raw) and roasts them at home. THEN grinds them in a commercial grinder before making our daily Latte. I BE SPOILED PEEPS!! lol

johno said...

Nickleback, I never heard of them, thanks for the video, i like the song :)

Shannon said...

Oh me too, LOL I always say, that if it werent for coffee/caffine I would have no personality at all... LOL
Hey gurl... I got some catchin up to do on your blog

Trudging said...

I am still waiting for them(whoever they are)to find a health benefit of candy.

Anonymous said...

wow - women but not men? and more beneficial for older women... that's really interesting.

we are still learning so much about ourselves

Tabitha.Montgomery said...

No excuses for this habitual coffee drinker...organic beans rule :)

twodogsblogging said...

I keep forgetting where I left my coffee cup. What's up with that?

twodogsblogging said...

Then I definitely will never lose my memory! Coffee rules.

twodogsblogging said...

Maybe not. I forgot I left that other comment!