Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Healing Heart and Mind


I read the Daily Reflection from May 1st and was taken aback by what it said.

"Since it is true that God comes to me through people, I can see that by keeping people at a distance I also keep God at a distance. God is nearer to me than I think and I can experience him by loving people and allowing people to love me. But I can neither love nor be loved if I allow my secrets to get in the way.
It's the side of me that I refuse to look at that rules me. I must be willing to look at the dark side in order to heal my mind and heart because that is the road to freedom. I must walk into darkness to find the light and walk in to fear to find peace.
By revealing my secrets - and thereby ridding myself of guilt - I can actually change my thinking; by altering my thinking, I can change myself. My thoughts create my future. What I will be tomorrw is determined by what I think today."

I found a lot of things in this reading that could really help with what I'm going through if I only take a little chance. The first part about love is the one I have given the most effort to, yet I can certainly do better. I have gotten to a place where I can truly love another person and am getting closer to allowing myself to be loved. I had never made the connection between my higher power and the people in my life. I have struggled with the nearness of my Higher Power, yet I have purposefully kept people at a distance because of my fear. It only makes sense that if I face that fear and let those people in that I would find that nearness of the Higher Power I long for. The next paragraph about the dark side is something I'm just beginning to do.....I am full of fear, but I am doing it anyway....and have had tremendous support from my closest friends. I am feeling good about this and have seen through the work others have done that it is true that by walking into the darkness I can find the light. This week I discovered that just because I'm in the dark right now does not mean I am alone. The final paragraph is one that my bestest friend points out regularly. I have been acustomed to automatically looking at the negative of every situation and she has shown me the positive in situations, where I could not previously see them. The last line of that paragraph is turning out to be so true. When I take my friends advice and give thanks for the positive than my next moment or day is positive. However, when I forget that and dwell on the negative, my next moment or day is negative. I am ready to find that nearness of my Higher Power by breaking down those walls I have used to keep people at a distance. I so want to find the light, that I am walking in darkness right now, but I know that this too shall pass. I'm ready for my attitude to be positive, thereby, making my tomorrow positive. Thanks so much to that one dear friend who has shown their love by being honest and holding the mirror for me to see the truth, and for being there to hold me up when stumble and fall. I hope that someday I can give to another person a fraction of the richness you have brought to my life. I love you the mostest, cause you're the bestest!

9 comments:

Trudging said...

Awesome picture!!!

Scott M. Frey said...

Well rexie, that's a pretty heavy reading... So much for the joy of isolation, huh? I love that part that talks about where if you shut out people, you shut out God. HP certainly comes to me through others. I can always tell (and so can my home groupies/wife) I am nearing difficult spiritual ground, when I begin to isolate. Thats how I know somethings up.
As far as that dark side stuff, and being ruled by the things about us we choose to ignore or deal with. Oh yeah, wow! I think someone put it best: "we're as sick as the secrets we keep..." Ouch!

Thanks for the eye opener!

Mary Christine said...

Good Stuff!

Networkchic said...

I love that last line....

and thanks for the kind words on my blog...I hope my niece agrees.

Anna said...

ty ((((Maude)))) I love you too

Sunshine said...

what a blessing in writing and in your friend!!!

Shannon said...

pretty primroses
is that snow on them?
and the daily reflections hit home with me too

Gooey Munster said...

This post makes me want to look deep and hard into my fears. You are looking deep into your soul and showing great courage by humbling seeking your truth. Thank you for your wisdom.

Tennessee Santa said...

Those are the kind of friends that last a lifetime.